Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Monday, July 9, 2012

Petrified Forest (End of Theodore Roosevelt National Park and Lewistown, Montana Post)

Today, we hiked to the Petrified Forest as we planned. The Petrified Forest in Theodore Roosevelt National Park is the third largest in the country.  Petrified wood is created when dissolved minerals seep into wood, and over a span of millions of years, crystalize.  The petrified wood in this park once thrived in an area similar to the Florida Everglades.  Swampy, and home to prehistoric alligators and crocodiles.  This has been deciphered through geologic evidence in the rocks.   In this petrified forest, some pieces of wood are up to ten feet.  This section of the park was really remote and pretty, as there were no roads leading directly to the wood and that you had to hike in.  



Mom and Dad by some lovely petrified wood.


Macro of the petrified wood. 


This is the view from one end of the Petrified Forest.  Although they may appear small, the petrified wood was actually quite large and plentiful.  



One of the largest pieces within the forest.  


Dad hugging his large piece of petrified wood.  


Can you spot the dog?  (Not real, within the wood.)



 

Do you like Dad's new sombrero?  The color suits him, don't you think?


After, we saw some oil equipment, and I told my family the method used was frakking, or hydraulic fracturing.  However, they didn't believe me, but I was ultimately right! :)

We drove all the way through the rest of North Dakota, and into Montana.  That meant my book and more of my favorite candy! (Tootsie pops! :D ) Tomorrow, we will probably reach Glacier National Park, one of the parts of the trip I am looking most forward to!  I can really understand why Montana is called the "Big sky country."  The sky is so big and blue and looks as if is stretches on forever, you can see so far.  

Amy


3 comments:

  1. Glad to see your mom is REALLY there!!! ;-) We were thinking she must be camera shy! Great blogging...we are having them emailed directly to us so we don't miss anything! Keep up the awesome posts!!! We'll have to check out Karen's, too. Happy Travels! The Disistos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Great pictures and comments of the Petrified Forest. I am learning quite a bit from your blog. I do like Dad in that sombero. Yes, the color is great. If there is room for it in Harvey, it would make a unique birthday gift for him. Love Beach Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Amy! So I had fun today too! Guess who I met today? TOM BRADY!!! And I spent about 1.5 hours in a room with him and maybe 15 other people. I got my picture taken with him and autographs and I am still in heaven! I can't wait to share my pictures with you (I hope they come out okay!).

    Have fun at Glacier National Park!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy