Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, July 12, 2012

Home on the (Bison) Range (Missoula, Montana Post)

As we were driving through, we stopped at the National Bison Range.  We were advised to visit by a couple on the shuttle in Glacier National Park.  This settled the Bison/Buffalo debate between Karen and me.  (I was right, despite what she says.) We have bison in this country, where as a buffalo refers to the Cape Buffalo of Africa, or the Water Buffalo from Asia.  However, the terms "bison" and "buffalo" have been used interchangeably in the United States to refer to the bison.  It can also be noted that the only other bison exists in small numbers in European reserves and is called the wisent.  


The newest exhibit at the bison range, a pet on a leash.  Strange... it looks a bit like Timber...

The rusty brown colored bison in the center is a calf.  Bison calves are a rusty brown for the first two months.  


The bison calves and the mothers (cows)



Other creatures inhabit the bison range such as birds, deer, and Timber's personal favorite, the Pronghorn Antelope.  


The valley was the former home of a giant glacial lake, and quite a bit of the bison range would have been underwater.



The view from the highest point of the bison range.  


Dad is "King of the Bison Range".



Timber spies, with her little doggie eyes: a bison!

A fawn in the flowers...


...The mother is nearby, watching...




We are spending the rest of the day driving, and have just stopped to let Timber stretch her legs.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Amy! Ah, the fawn is so cute, but I can't say the same for those bison. Maybe I'll be kind and call them majestic looking! So, I'm just curious - were you for or against the detour to see the bison?

    I hope the driving went okay and I can't wait to hear where you are now! Have a great day! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be the most careful around that Pet on the Leash. She looks like she could lick you to death, or knock you down with a single leap.

      I'm sure she would protect you from those very large bison if she needed to though. Love to you all. Have a great day on your next adventure. I must go to sleep and prepare to back to work. Love, Aunt Debbie

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy