Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hoover Dam and Route 66 (Just Outside of Grand Canyon South Rim Post)

We left the city and headed to Hoover Dam.  

The dam from the Mike O'Callaghan - Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge.  

The two men this bridge is named for were both the perfect example of patriotism.  O'Callaghan was a soldier who lost his leg in duty.  He later became governor of Nevada.  Pat Tillman was a successful young football player, who after the September 11, 2001 attacks, put his career on hold and put off a big contract to enlist.  He was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan in 2004.   
The bridge and back of the dam.  


The dam was completed in just four years during the Great Depression.  It proves America's ability to work together during adverse conditions.  The American Society of Civil Engineers has named the structure one of America's Seven Modern Civil Engineering Wonders.  

The High Flyer sculpture honoring the workers that lost their lives during the construction of the dam. 


Yup, we stopped in a town on the historic Route 66!



I like these pretty yellow flowers, because the petals look like butterflies.  


The sunset's colors included an all pink rainbow, faintly etched into the clouds. 

Facing the other direction.

At one point you could see the entire rainbow, and its end.  Time to look for leprechauns and gold! :)

Amy

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning Amy! Did you find the gold? Please say yes and I will quit my job today! (Assuming you are willing to share of course!) I did not know they named the bridge after Pat Tillman, I think that is wonderful. I remember him as a great football player and I was so sad to learn he had died, but I was also very touched by his bravery and selflessness. Not only did he join the service, but he was in the Elite Special Forces.

    Wow - Route 66! I'm bopping along in my chair singing your song: "If you ever plan to motor west, travel my way, take the highway that is best. GET YOUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66!!!!" Did you all sing it? Does Karen have the video? Who played air guitar? I think Timber should have!

    Those flowers and the sunset are so pretty! I love them - the colors are so vibrant!

    I hope you have a great day today!!! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! You must be starting to make your way home.... bet you had LOTS of
    "Free as we'll ever be..." moments! Hayden wants to know if that song ever came on while you were driving... so you could sing along to it??? That's our favorite song to sing along to on road trips! I told him with all the miles you've traveled...you must have heard it MANY times!
    Safe travels home...hoping you all sneak in every possible moment of travel fun possible on your way back! Love from The DiSistos xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    you continue to amaze with your keen eye and words on your wonderful trip. From Bryce to the Grand Canyons - pulchritudinous! The pics from Hoover Dam take me back to a time when this country and life was so much simpler. Thank you! After relishing in this wonderment, I now feel the need for some hi-jinx and shenanigans - so on to Karen's blog!
    Signed - The Phantom of the Blog

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy