Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, July 5, 2012

From the 1880s, to the Timeless Badlands, to the Wall Drug Store (Hot Springs, South Dakota Post)


This morning, after my earlier post, we found ourselves stepping back in time with the 1880s town.  I had a lot of fun in this town using what I knew to imagine what life would be in the town.  Eventually, my family began leaving me in different buildings, because I was spewing off facts from my Social Studies book.  This town was really interesting, because it was home to so many different antiques.   I also found it interesting to learn that the movie Dances With Wolves was filmed there, and that it was featured on an episode of the History Channel show American Pickers.  


Then, we entered the Badlands.  The Badlands were named by French trappers who realized that the land was bad to cross.   A Native American group also named it something meaning "land bad" in their language.  





Here is a collection of pictures from the Badlands.

     


A macro of the surface of the rock.  





The different colors signify different ages of rock and contain different fossils, as during that time period, the land supported different ecosystems.  


Baby goats on the side of the road! :)
After the Badlands, we stopped at the Wall Drug Store for our free ice water and some shopping.  It was giant inside, filled with many rooms holding different portions.  This isn't even the entire length of the store.  The store began giving out free ice water as a gimmick to draw in customers as the store wasn't doing well. The store's owner noticed many cars driving by, but no one stopping.  On a hot July day, she realized that they were probably thirsty and began offering free ice water.  The store still follows this tradition.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    The pictures of the Badlands and Wall Drug are fantastic! Looks like you are having a great trip! How hot is is there? Can't wait to hear what's on the agenda for today. Grandpa would've loved all your social studies facts, although I would've been with your family and the first one out the door! I'm a picture girl, but I'm not big on all those facts! Please tell Karen I tried to post the following note on her new blog, but she does not have the option for anonynmous posts - can she add that as a profile choice? Anyway, here's what I tried to write to her:
    Hi Karen! I'm so glad you have a blog too! Thanks for the video of the birds in Niagra Falls - I don't remember seeing those when we were there so that was something new for me. I hope you had a great 4th of July in the Badlands and at Wall Drug Store. What did you buy? Keep the videos and pictures coming please! Love, Auntie Pam

    Keep On Truckin On! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello on the road -

    Wow very interesting, nice pictures!!!

    From - South Windsor
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMY!!!! I woke up this morning, checked the blog and there is no new update - what is this??? Help - I am in suspense! What did you do yesterday? What are you doing today? Inquiring minds need to know! Hahaha! I hope you're having so much fun that you are too pooped to write! <3 Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - Please tell Karen that we still cannot post on her blog because she does not have the anonymous option! But I am also wondering where you are on that wooded road in her picture! Again, <3 Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy!
    Awesome Blog...we are enjoying the photos and your very witty writing!
    Still waiting to see some people photos...won't your family sign media releases???
    I guess Timber's was easy to get..just a paw print! ;-) Have a wonderful adventure!
    The Disistos xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am still waiting for media releases from my family, so look for more pictures of them when I get them. Timber's was by far the easiest to get!

      Amy

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy