Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Sunday, July 29, 2012

Zion and Snow Canyon (Snow Canyon State Park Post)

After a breakfast at Jacob Lake Inn (Dad wanted more cookies to replace the ones Timber ate.), Mom and I stopped in the Kaibab National Forest Visitor Center, and I found this little Kaibab Squirrel.  I named him Jake for the Jacob Lake.   
Meet Jake!
We headed off to Zion National Park, but didn't stay long, because it was crowded and to reach most places you would have to ride the shuttle.  It was almost 100 degrees, and the shuttle wasn't air-conditioned, and we didn't want to leave poor Timber alone even if the generator was running.  


Checkerboard Mesa - a Navajo Sandstone geological feature within the park.  The horizontal lines represent wind deposited sand that later was glued together by calcite and iron-oxide forming the sandstone.  The vertical lines are less common, as they are actually small cracks within the rock.  They represent stress and erosion on the rock's surface most likely from expanding and contracting water when it freezes then thaws.   


If you can see the two black holes in the rock, those are ventilation shafts in a tunnel we drove through!  




When we reached Snow Canyon, the thermometer told us it was about 105 degrees fahrenheit.  We decided it was too hot to explore the canyon tonight.  We stopped and found a campsite.

Don't be fooled, Snow Canyon is anything but cold!  It was named for its explorers, Lorenzo and Erastus Snow.    
An interesting patch of lava-rocks.  


This rock has the same cracks as Checkerboard Mesa in Zion.  

Until Later,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I never thought I would meet a squirrel I thought was cute, but I have to admit, I do like Jake! As I'm sure you know, in the bible Zion is known as the heavenly city, which is probably why the sky is so, so blue there. But the name is a little confusing because at 105 degrees it seems hotter than h - e - double-toothpicks! I love the heat but at 105 degress, that's not so heavenly, even to me!

    I would really like to try the cookies from the Jacob Lake Inn. Do they deliver?

    Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy