Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Lakes are Calling! (Polson, Montana Post)

This morning, we left the area of Glacier National Park, and headed back to the main highway.  We were all sad to leave, but we knew it was time to move on...sorta...  

It was a beautiful, calm, clear day on the road toward Browning.  







The trains (this one is a double decker) seem to go on forever! 



We drove down Marias Pass, which marks the continental divide.  We also visited a spot on the goat's trails in the spring, and saw a mountain goat and her baby walking along a ridge.  The spot is home o a natural salt lick for the goats.   Driving past the entrance for West Glacier and the western side of the park, we decided that Glacier was "calling us back", so we turned around and headed into the park.  We packed a picnic lunch of sorts and enjoyed the serene beauty of Lake McDonald.  It was quite pleasant, except for the flies.  There were so many of them flying around and landing everywhere.

My view while eating lunch!

The water was a pretty blue and was very clear.  

Is the water cold yet, Karen?


One of my favorite pictures for the day.  

Giant Cedar tree near the Lake McDonald lodge.  


Fire Master Rick near the fireplace in the lodge.  

The amazing ceiling and lights in the lodge.   
After visiting the lodge, we reluctantly said good-bye to Glacier and to make our way to the Bison Range to settle "The Great Buffalo/Bison Dispute."

Earlier, the Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor warned us of low tire pressure.  (Thanks, Gerry and Margie; it has saved us twice!)  We stopped at the Les Schwab Tire Center, to fix the issue - a screw in our tire.
Harvey thanks the Les Schwab Tire Center, and Gerry and Margie! 

As we were driving, we passed the gargantuan Flathead Lake.  It is about 36 miles in length.  Beautiful mountains form a stunning backdrop.




Can you spot the mushroom?
After our detour to the tire center, we realized that we would be arriving at the campground much to late to cook dinner.  We stopped at Richwine's Burgerville.  It only was a drive-thru window, and Harvey couldn't fit, so I knocked something off my bucket list...walk through the drive-thru window.


We ate cheeseburgers, fries, and onion rings with huckleberry shakes to drink.  Yum!

5 comments:

  1. Good morning Amy and family! These are some of my favorite pictures (I don't know how they keep getting better but they do!) The sky is the prettiest blue in the whole world! I only have one question today - why was Karen the only person in the whole state of Montana to be in a lake? I do not see any other swimmers or boats in any of those pictures with all that pretty water - what's up with that? Love, Auntie Pam <3 xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen was almost the only one in the water. There were a few boats, but it's a big lake, so I couldn't get them into the picture. I stuck my feet in, but it was COLD! Mom and Dad were beginning to pack the stuff into the RV and Timber was with them.

      Delete
  2. I am in agreement with Auntie Pam about all of the above. I am starting to wonder if there are many people at all out there with you. Did Timber go swimming with Karen?
    I also must say I have never seen (or even heard of) a double decker train. What does a huckleberry shake taste like? I have never had a huckleberry either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are people. Timber did go swimming with Karen, but a piece of driftwood scared her and she didn't go back in.

    A huckleberry tastes a bit like a blueberry, but not like a blueberry. I don't really know how to explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are glad the Pressure Pro saved you from a worse situation! It was a good investment. Awesome photos. What kind of camera are you & Karen using. Margie & Gerry

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy