Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Snow in July? (Glacier National Park Post)




After a lazy morning, we rode our bikes down to the Saint Mary's Visitors Center.  It was about a mile away from our campsite.  Timber had to stay home in the RV back at our campsite.  

We boarded a shuttle, and rode all the way to Logan's Pass on the Going-To-The-Sun Highway.


I found it slightly humorous to see all the wildflowers in the meadow, and then have snow in 90 degree weather.  



Going-to-the-sun Mountain, which gave the highway its name.

   


A ground squirrel!


Although this looks a bit like the inside of Harvey, this is the inside of the shuttle.  It was built on the same Sprinter chassis.  I got the special seat - up in front next to the driver!




The weeping wall.  




We took a hike and all of the signs were written in Haiku poetry.
Is the glacial water cold, Karen?


Dad and Karen skipping back on the hike.  

 The trip home on the shuttle.  







 The History of Glacier!  The first evidence of use of the land was back about 10,000 years ago.  When the first European explorers arrived in this area of the land, several Native American tribes controlled the land.  These explorers looked for beaver pelts, and were followed by miners, and finally immigrants and settlers searching for a place to live.  The completion of the Great Northern Railway in 1891 made it easier for settlers, and towns began to develop.  At the turn of the eighteenth century, people began noticing the beauty of the land and saw it as more than land to farm or mine.  Many people, such as the influential George Bird Grinnell, began pushing for the land to be protected as a national park.  Grinnell Glacier in the park is named for George Bird Grinnell.  In 1910, President William Taft signed the bill creating Glacier as the 10th national park.   The beauty of the rugged peaks, clear blue water, and glacial carved valleys draw many people to visit.









7 comments:

  1. Spectacular! And you know your Dad is having fun when he starts skipping! I love the picture of the wildflowers and the snow - that is very cool (did you see what I did there? Snow in the summer - I figure it's cool but not cold! Haha, I crack myself up sometimes! By the way, tell your Mom I'm happy to see her in some pictures too! Can't wait to hear what adventure awaits you next! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and wonderful picture of your mom and dad, today! I've sent the link to your blogs to other young friends to follow... your writing and photos and are Ab-Fab! And you are giving them a wonderful example of how to share faraway adventures with everyone back home! "Dads skipping on vacation" is one of our favorite photo opps!!! You can't always catch it ..but when you do...it's priceless!!! :-) So happy to see The National Parks see the value of a little Haiku! The Disistos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was thrilled to see the haikus! A fun way to give a description!

      Delete
  3. Greetings - these photos are my favorite! Thank you for sharing them along with the history!

    Have a great night!

    Debbie Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These pictures are some of my favorites, too. Such a beautiful place.

      Delete
  4. By the way, it was so early in the morning when I made my first post today that I forgot to ask the difference between a ground squirrel and a regular squirrel? No trees to climb?
    Love, Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ground squirrels live in holes or on the ground. There are trees around, but I guess they don't want to climb them. I don't blame them, the last tree I climbed, I was stuck in for a long time...

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy