Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

More Grand Holes and Monuments (Cortez, Colorado Post)

We were passing through on our way to Monument Valley, so to decide which rim we liked better,we stopped at the South Rim.   

The parking lots reminded me of Disney, with the parking lot signs so you don't lose your car.  We happened to park in the Raven lot.   

The Grand Canyon


We saw a squirrel, not an Abert's or Kaibab, but your regular squirrel.  We interrupted its breakfast.    


At the visitor center store, I saw these.  One looks like Jake.  The other is an Abert's squirrel.  I didn't buy any, but if I found the pot of gold at last night's rainbow, I would have.



The Desert View Watchtower.  This is the coolest place!

Hey!  I know those people in the window!

The inside decor.

I didn't realize I captured the bird in my picture until I looked at it later.  I think it adds a nice touch, don't you?


I did prefer the North Rim over the South Rim, because the North Rim seemed more peaceful and serene.  It also seemed more natural because there were fewer buildings and less developed areas.


Heading into Monument Valley.

Looks a bit like a small Devils Tower off into the distance, but that's in a different state.  



Staring intently out the window.  



East and West Mitten



Mexican Hat in front of cliffs that have swirly designs on them.


The sunset had a completely different palette from last night.  

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Amy, I love these pictures and that Desert View Watchtower looks awesome! Why are some of your family members up in the window and you were on the ground? Did you go all the way up the tower? I assume there are no elevators there? I love the picture with the bird - that is one BIG bird! Do you know what it is? What a view from his (her?) angle! I wonder if he's on vacation too? My favorite pictures are the mittens - they look just like the ones Grandma Spazzarini used to make (and Aunt Debbie can make now!) I'm glad you saw a squirrel (your namesake), even though it was just a regular one. Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy