Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Canyons, Canyons, and Arches? (Moab, Utah Post)

We headed to Canyonlands yesterday morning.  

Look at the funny looking "fins" in front of the mountain!


Canyonlands National Park was established by President Lyndon Johnson, due to urging by the Superintendent of Arches National Monument, which later became Arches National Park.  In 1964, this became the first national park since 1956.  Later, President Nixon expanded the land for this park.  Canyonlands is centered within the Colorado Plateau, and has been carved by the Colorado and Green Rivers.  

The giant canyon, the little white spot is an SUV.  How's that for perspective?

These two ravens enjoyed hanging out by the picnic areas.  I named them Edgar and Allen.   Later, they were joined by another more solitary raven I named Poe.  (The Picnic Bandits)

A little cactus grows in the shade of this dead tree.  

Green River Overlook



Edgar and Allen

Dead Horse Point was at one time used as a horse corral.  The neck of the point was gated off.  According to legend, one time the horses were left without water and died.  





Arches was originally a National Monument.  It became one in 1929 when President Herbert Hoover signed the document to protect its unique landscape of arches, fins and spires.  In 1971, Congress changed the status of Arches to a national park to preserve the 10,000 years of cultural history. 

Park Avenue in the fading sun.  

Balanced Rock


North and South Window Arch




Delicate Arch after sunset.  



Look at the vivid colors in the rock!


We camped within Arches and saw a bit more of the park this morning.  Again, it's late, so I will post Todays activities tomorrow morning. as I believe we have quite a bit of driving before w get to our next place.

Amy

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Amy! I am so glad you have delighted us with new pictures (and by that I mean regaled!). You know my answers to the questions about the fins in front of the mountains, and the white SUV among the canyons, so I won't go into that again, but I will take your word for it, that those things are there. Oh my, I have many new favorits in these pictures, including the Delicate Arches, the ravens (they remind me of Grandpa's crows Harry and Jerry), and the ruby red colored rocks! I also love the last picture, with the moon framed between the cactus branches, that shows real photography talent! Hey, I just looked back again and even though you didn't ask - YES! I do see a man (your Dad?) waving from behind a big rock! Huh, turns out I don't need those glasses after all! I hope it's a relaxing day of driving to your next big adventure! Today, I will be doing a lot of driving too as Aleigh and I are going to NYC to pick up her friend Mati from Italy. She is going to stay with us for the next week and 1/2 - we're all very excited! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Amy, I spelled favorites wrong - sorry. Is there a way for me to edit my posts once I realize I made a mistake? Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy,

    Even though Aunt Pam couldn’t see the SUV I can and it reminded me how much grandma hated driving on those roads with the honor system for guardrails or should I say lack of guardrails! I hope Harvey didn’t have any problems on those roads. The other thing that struck me as you have been traveling and following the Colorado River is the different perspectives you have of the River. It amazes me that a little water could make such huge cannons! Where do you think all the earth and rock it has eroded away gone to? I hope that Edgar, Allen and Poe didn’t steal your picnic! It looks like there is a storm off in the distance in your Green River Overlook picture I hope you didn’t get caught in it. Your pictures of Arches National Park are beautiful, I also enjoyed the sun set pictures they are very colorful. Thank you again for sharing your trip with us as I’m sure it is quite a bit of work to keep up with.

    Love,

    Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy