Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Scenic Byways and Yellowstone

After a trip to Walmart to buy a few supplies (a new SD card for my camera so I can take more pictures and a new book!), we made our way to Yellowstone using the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway.   








These chipmunks, which according to the paper we received at the gate in Yellowstone are actually a type of ground squirrel, were really funny and came quite close to the people and eventually began to tease Timber.  


The Stare-down.  Timber wasn't quite sure what to do with these chipmunks that came right next to her nose!





Mountain Goats on the ridge at Yellowstone. 


The Lamar Valley was Bison galore!

We spotted this lovely Black Bear as we were driving.  



Look at the detail of the from the rock above!

Tower Falls


The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.




My Dad insisted I be present in at least one picture on my blog.  


It's a long way down!



The Petrified Tree.  This is actually gated in, I shot through the gate.  The reason this is gated is really sad.  At one time, there were three petrified trees in this location of Yellowstone, but souvenir-hunting people chipped away at the other two trees so they do not exist now.  Scientific evidence shows that this prehistoric tree is a Redwood Tree exactly like those in California, eluding to the fact that this was at one time a much warmer climate.  


We saw three elk.  All three had impressive racks of antlers.  One had a twelve point rack, and the other two each had eight point racks.





We left Yellowstone for the night and found a great campsite.

It has a complementary Timber run, 


Beautiful Views,



Spacious RV parking,


A swimming hole, 


Complementary Wifi/Cell Service (No, I am not on top of the hill, I am using the air card in the RV), and


A great eatery!

 Timber was barking at something as we were enjoying our campfire.  We turned and saw two more elk.  I looked again in a few minutes and saw an entire herd!  I tried to get a picture, but it was relatively dark and hard to photograph, so it didn't really work. However, it was an amazing sight that I know will be completely unforgettable!

All that for seven dollars!  

Good Night or Good Morning, depending on your timezone!

Amy

* EDIT *

First off, it occurred to me that you might want to see the original Mountain Goat picture before I used my computer to enlarge it.  Here it is!

Can you spot the mountain goats?
 Then, if you thought that my pictures of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, weren't that grand, it was because my Dad duped me and I guess you, the reader in turn.  It was the Yellowstone River in those pictures, but it wasn't the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

This is the (actual) Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone!



9 comments:

  1. Good morning Amy! The picture of Timber and the chipmunk is Award Winning and must be entered into a contest somewhere!! The picture of you is beautiful and I'm glad your Dad made you do it (mean old Dad). I thought the Indian picture was real until I blew it up and got a better look at the faces - time for a visit to Uncle Chris I think (for more glasses that I will refuse to wear). The campsite is great - your Dad put the picture of the heard of elk on facebook and it's really cool, you can make them out, even in the dark! Did he tell you he has regaled us with more pictures on facebook? (Is regaled a word, or just regale?) I am now very jealous of all of you as you are in the most glorious place and I'm going back to work to stare at the same four walls of my office as I stared at yesterday. Boo hoo for me! YAY for you! Have another great day today! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Amy. Elk, and Bears, and Bison OH MY!! So many of God's creatures in one blog. The opal pool from the other day looked more inviting than the swimming hole in this picture, although it is tough to beat the scenery.

    I agree with Auntie Pam about the picture of Timber and the chipmunk. As soon as I saw it I called Uncle Kenny over to see it. Again I am amazed at the beauty of all that you are getting to see and do. I only can hope that sometime in my lifetime I will get to go to some of those places too.
    It is off to bed for me so I can go back to work tonight. Have fun today. Love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    It looks and sounds like you all had another great day! I was a little concerned yesterday that you guys left Yellowstone after only one day. I’m glad to see you are back there again; it is such a beautiful place! The mountains in Stafford will look like tiny hills when you come home. Did you guys hike down to the base of Tower Falls? I remember there being a lot of short hiking trails down to the water falls and lookouts. I’m glad you were able to drive past that black bear and he didn’t want any part of Harvey the RV or its’ contents! I hope you all are enjoying today’s adventures and I look forward to the next update.

    Love,
    Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    been camping so I missed a lot of your posts. Mookie is Mookie, so you didn't miss much in that aspect, but you did miss his usual antics, which he is quite proud of. I am passing on the link to him so he can check out your blogs.
    Nice job with the blog. Keep it up. The chipmunk looks like he's on steroids! Uncle Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    This is Jacqui a co-worker of your mom. Your blog is amazing! It is so nice to see all the pictures and hear about the wonderful experience you are having with your family. We are really enjoying following your progress across the country. Continue to enjoy each day and we look foward to seeing more of your updates!!

    Friends from OPM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Amy! You must have had another fantastic day yesterday because you were once again too pooped to post! Let my suspense commence! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy? One morning is okay, but two mornings without a blog update is disappointing (which according to my Webster's Dictionary means "to fail to satisfy the hopes or expectations of; leave unsatisfied") - yup, I'm disappointed. Where are you Harvey the RV and Me? Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where oh where is Harvey the Rv?
    Where oh where can he be?
    He was on the range where the Bison roam (sounds better with
    Buffalo)
    Yet now he seems to be off the radar.Love, Aunt Debbie

    Did your leader get you lost? He is turning 50 in 3 days? I hope you are driving to somewhere wonderful to celebrate, however I still want to know where you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, you're back so all is right with the world again! Thank you for the edits and update! Unfortunately, I cannot see the mountain goats in the small picture, nor the enlarged picture. Please refer to my earlier post about needing to visit Uncle Chris for the details on the state of my eyesight. But you are trustworthy so I will take your word for it that there are goats in that picture!

    And I love the real Yellowstone Grand Canyon even better than the fake, but they are both pretty. I don't think your Dad meant to dupe you, he's just old and confused. Take it from someone who knows. Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy