Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Saturday, July 28, 2012

Waterfalls and Hoodoos (Bryce Canyon National Park Post)

After a morning of driving, we finally reached the entrance of Bryce Canyon, but before we entered, we stopped for a quick hike to a cave and waterfall.  

The hoodoos (more about those later in the post) look a bit like a castle, huh?


The waterfall!  

Karen and I walked under the waterfall.  


Since the main geographical feature of Bryce Canyon is hoodoos, I should probably explain what they are.  A hoodoo is a large monolith or skinny spire that reaches out of the bottom of a canyon or badlands.  They are created by the erosion process of freezing and thawing which cracks the cliffs.  Runoff will help to isolate hoodoos-in-the-making and expose them to more erosion.
The hoodoos at sunrise point.  




Sunset point, really a bit of a misnomer, as it looks better in the morning than at night.  


A Paiute Indian legend helps give an explanation for the faces seen in the hoodoos, which were prominent in this formation.  (The camera couldn't quite capture them, but they were there.)  "Before there were any Indians, the Legend People, To-when-ung-wa, lived in that place.  There were many of them.  They were of many kinds - birds, animals, lizards, and such - but they all looked like people...For some reason, the Legend People were bad.  Because they were bad, Coyote turned them all into rocks.  You can see them all in that place now; all turned into rocks, some standing in rows, some sitting down, some holding in to others.  You can see their faces with paint on them, just as they were before they became rocks..."   



Poe likes Bryce Canyon, too!

Rainbow Point, elevation 9115 feet.  

What do you see Ranger Rick?





Natural Bridge

More Hoodoos.  Can you see the faces?



Bryce Point 

Grottos at Bryce Point



We camped at the Sunset Campground inside the park so we could get up in the morning and go on the Navajo Loop Trail down into the canyon.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the neat pics. My brother used to talk about Bryce Canyon & now I understand why. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, I did see them, I did, I did-the faces in the hoodoos I mean. However I did not see any rainbows in the picture of Rainbow Point. Glad to see you walked under the waterfall with Karen. That looked like fun, and very refreshing. Enjoy another fun day, I hope the hoodoo spirits don't follow you like Poe seems to be doing. Love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pics Amy. I saw the faces too. Mookie will be proud to see you guys jump in the water like that!
    uncle tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,

    FINALLY!! You and Karen are actually in the water! I really was starting to think there were laws against going in the water or something, because there sure is a lot of water out there, but no one is ever in it. Is it hot or cold or just right?

    I did not know you are taller than your Mom! That's a nice picture of the two of you. Did you take that for Grandma because I remember she asked for a picture of the two of you?

    I thought that was Edgar Allen in the picture but I will take your word for it that it was Poe. I find it hard to tell them apart.

    Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy