Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bridges and Rainbows (Escalante, Utah Post)

 While I was eating my breakfast, we came across a familiar, but foreign landscape.  A forest!

Mom: "Oh, look there's a forest!"
Dad: " Where?  I can't see it through all the trees."


We came to Natural Bridges National Monument (try saying that a few times fast.  No use of technology *cough, Karen! ) I saw another Connecticut license plate! My first in several weeks (beside our own.)
Natural Bridges was Utah's first parcel of federally maintained land such as a national park or monument.  Now Utah is home to many national parks and national monuments.  Theodore Roosevelt established the monument in 1908.  The monument is home to three natural bridges, Sipapu, Kachina, and Owachomo.  

Sipapu (Seé-pa-pu) Bridge.  The name translates to "place of emergence" in the Hopi language.  

I bet you were looking forward to seeing the second natural bridge, Kachina.  I was too, however due to some navigational issues, we drove pass the turnout on a one way road, and couldn't turn around or head back.  Instead of the view of the second natural bridge, I offer to you, the reader, a picture of Bear's Ears.  These prominent buttes have elevations of 8,930 feet and 9,058 respectively. In many Native American groups, they are sacred in oral histories.  

Owachomo (O-wá-cho-mo) Bridge.  The name translates to "rock mound",  and this bridge was named for the rock pile on the left side of the bridge.  

This plant is in a Cryptobiotic Soil Crust.  This crust is essential for desert plant growth as it swells up with water (as shown in this picture; we just had an overnight rain shower the night before.)  However, the crust is so fragile that so much as one misplaced footstep can ruin it.  


The Colorado River!

The confluence of the Dirty Devil and Colorado River.  


At this scenic overlook, I saw my ravens, Edgar, Allen, and Poe, but after closer examination of the rock outcropping, they were perched under, I noticed two more ravens for a total of five!  Since Edgar Allen Poe had no more words in his name, I named them "Annabel Lee" and "Nevermore".  (A proverbial 100 points for you if you know why I chose those names.)

A giant Thunderstorm was brewing over the plateaus!  


Capitol Reef, also known as the "Land of the Sleeping Rainbow",  encompasses the Waterpocket Fold, and the old Mormon settlement of Fruita. It became a National Park 75 years ago in 1937 during Franklin D. Rooselvelt's time in office.  

In the center, there is a pointy geological feature.  It is called Navajo Dome, and is evidence to a Sahara-like ecosystem as it is essentially a petrified sand dune.  


Can you spot Poe?

Edgar, Allen and Poe perched on top of me!

A family portrait!

How Karen films...
Then, the lighting was just right!



Timber, it isn't nice to tangle people up and then laugh.  

We apparently awoke the sleeping rainbow.



Good Night! or Good Morning!  

Amy

Sorry I haven't updated you on today's events yet, these are still Yesterday's.  I had very little service yesterday, so I would usually update now for today's too, but we are going on an early morning hike in Bryce Canyon (I will give you my current location) tomorrow, so I need to get to bed.  

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Amy! Wow, I am delighted because there are so many pictures and captions to comment on today. First, Karen is wearing her Vanilla Bean tee-shirt and that makes me very excited! Second, YES, YES, I spotted Poe right away and I am so proud of myself :). Third, and you didn't ask, but I spotted Timber in the second to the last picture as she is also realizing that there is finally a forest with lots of trees on which she can do her business, just like at home(you know what I mean!) - and that's really why she's smiling in the picture with Karen! Fifth, I think it is wonderful that Edgar, Allen and Poe have decided to join you on your journey (they're so much better to look at than those big, burly bison!) Sixth, why does the Colorodo River always look gray in your pictures? What makes it gray? Seventh, your Mom and Dad's comments about the forest made me chuckle - I'll have to remember that one when I am visiting a forest, but then I just have to hope someone remembers to say "oh look, there's a forest" so I can respond accordingly! Eighth, although I'm sorry we didn't get to see the 2nd natural bridge (but I bet it looked a lot like the first and the third) I'm happy we got to see the sacred Bear Ears because I think they're cool (why are they sacred?) And finally, ninth: "Natural Bridges National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument,Natural Bridges National Monument!" Whew, that was hard! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job on spotting Poe and Timber! The Colorado River is naturally a muddy gray/brown color. I believe it is this color from sediments that it has eroded away and carries along. I am not sure why Bears Ears are sacred, that was all the sign said - that they were sacred. Good job on the tongue twister. Now try this one: Sheep Creek Swamp Canyon!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Amy,
    Let me start by saying, I love reading your posts while having my coffee in the morning. I feel like my day starts off right. In answer to your questions, yes I did spot Poe right away, however I thought he looked like Edgar myself. Also, I believe you picked "Nevermore" as a name because of the poem "The Raven" written by the poet you have been honoring with your raven names. Along the same vein, "Annabel Lee" was also written by Edgar Allen Poe, yet I do not remember if there was a reference to ravens in that. I will have to reread it soon to find out. (I must confess, I know those things from crossword puzzle clues-must do them to keep my mind sharp).

    Once again your pictures are wonderful. I was glad to see you could all stand for the family portrait after all that popping I saw going on in Karen's video! I also love that Karen sticks her tongue out when she films, as that is a trait I have when I am doing something I am concentrating on. Grandpa used to tease me about it all the time!
    The thunderstorm brewing was one of my favorites. The plant in the soil crust fascinated me. I think I would be so tempted to step on it though to see what it feels like. I'm not sure I would be able to leave it alone. The last picture looks like heaven peaking through the clouds, the way it is so bright and beautiful. Have another wonderful day today. Love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good! "Annabel Lee" doesn't mention a raven. However, I read it in 7th grade literature and I consider it to be one of my favorite poems. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Amy Squirrel!

    Thank you so much for answering my questions from yesterday.

    Using my in-depth mathematical calculation skills and super sleuth abilities, I have compiled an Excel spreadsheet that tells me you are now two days behind in pictures and stories - no slacking off there kiddo! What do you think you're on vacation or something??!! I will expect a real feast for the eyes later today or tomorrow! Please?

    But in the meantime, just to keep you on your toes, and my curiosity satisfied, I do have one more question from yesterday's pictures - why is that one river called the "Dirty Devil"?

    Also according to my super sleuth abilities (and a little bit of facebook viewing) I see that you have reached the GRAND CANYON!!!!! YIIIIPPPPPPPEEE YIIIIII AAAAAA!!!!!!!! Have a GRAND OLD TIME!

    Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,

    Imagine this - I sleep in a bit, got up, got my coffee, sat at the computer with a smile of anticipation on my face and then... BOO HOO!

    You have given me no choice. I must go to Block Island today so I can visit the bluffs and see some beautiful sites for myself. I (sort of) patiently await your next post! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy