Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Friday, July 20, 2012

The Grand Tetons and the Idaho Potato! (Montpelier, Idaho Post)

After I woke up, Mom, Timber and I went for a walk through the woods.  (Well, for Timber and me it was a walk, for Mom it was a drag.) 

The Tetons over a lake, I don't know which one, with a sailboat!






Mount Moran.  The strip of darker rock is a black dike.  This was formed when magma was forced through an upward crack.  Eventually, the surrounding rock wore away.   



The Jenny Lake Overlook



A nice man offered to take a family portrait, and this was the best one!  All we need is the cat.  (Maybe I can photoshop her into the picture.)

Timber spots a chipmunk.  



We stopped in Idaho, as Utah was too far to drive from where we were.  We stopped at the Oregon-California Trail Center, but it had closed.  We thought it looked intriguing, so the decision was made to stay in the area.  Dad remembered that the best steak he had was in Idaho on his trip West approximately 31 years ago; for dinner we ate at Lott's restaurant for steak and Idaho potatoes. (Really, how could you be in Idaho and not eat potatoes?)

The sky looked like cotton candy, with the fluffy pastel pink clouds and the pale blue sky.  

Now for your bit of history and science on the Teton range.  In the times of the fur traders and mountain men, (Early 1800s) the Teton range was used as a navigational landmark.  It was named by French-Canadian trappers who called it Les Trois Tetons.  These mountains are the youngest in the Rocky Mountains.  Billions of years ago, the North American plate collided with an oceanic plate.  As they were pushed together, the mountain range slowly began to form.  Series of earthquakes and volcanism from Yellowstone began to work to shape the mountains.  Finally, during the ice age, glaciers helped to shape the mountains.

It's late here, so while I have caught you, the reader up on our activities, I didn't leave enough time to update about today's activities.  This will have to do until I update after breakfast or while we're on the road.  It will definitely be up before tomorrow evening (Using Eastern Time, it's easier to keep track of than whatever timezone I happen to be in.)

Good Night! or of course, Good Morning!

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Bonjour Amy! Les Tetons sont magnifiques! I had no idea they used to be called the Les Trois Tetons - how fancy! If these mountains are the youngest and they were created billions of years ago (by colliding plates no less) then the other ranges must be "trillions" of years old - oui? Isn't it funny how a word that sounds like "we" is spelled "oui"? That is a really great family picture - I love all the beautiful smiles!! My favorite picture is of the cotton candy sky as I love, love, love cotton candy! I did spot Timber in that picture too - Uncle Chris will be so proud! Au revoir for now. Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! It helps to be awake when one types! Your Dad has TWO more days before you can sing "Joyeux anniversaire à vous"! I thought today was July 21st!! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, Once again you amaze me with your beautiful photography. These glorious pictures were worth waiting 2 days for! The mountains and lakes look so calm and peaceful. Is the water as cold here as it was in Glacier National Park?

    I will be going to Rhode Island later today with Grandma-of course it is raining here for the first time in over 2 weeks.(That is because I am on vacation from work). Enjoy whatever adventure you embark on today-I will look forward to reading about it all later. Love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    lovely pictures. How does timber keep finding the chipmunks? I thought timber was a bird dog.

    love,
    uncle tom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy