Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Rest of Yellowstone to the start of the Tetons

With much sadness, we left our lovely campsite on Eagle Creek and headed back toward Yellowstone.  The welcome back to the park was the Roosevelt Arch, just as it had greeted travelers to the park since 1903.  This iconic arch has become the symbol for "...the best idea America ever had."      


The top inscription reads, "For the benefit and enjoyment of the people"; the left reads, "Yellowstone National Park"; the right reads, "Created by an act of Congress March 1, 1872" 


Half way between the Equator and North Pole!  This really puts the location of Yellowstone in perspective!



Mammoth Hot Springs

Minerva Terrace


Mound Terrace


Another view of mound terrace.  Who or what do you see?


Mound Spring


Dead trees in travertine, a form of limestone deposited by hot springs such as these.  


Canary Springs.  


Looks like winter, but it is actually very hot.  


Another view of Canary Springs.


I trust this sign as you can feel the heat from the pathways, and in certain places around the Mammoth Hot Springs area, you can smell the rotten egg like sulfur.  




 Palette Springs, in my opinion, was the prettiest terrace.  

Another view of Palette Springs.  

One of my first views of the Teton Range, but more about those mountains later in my post.


The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. 


I was standing right next to the brink of the Lower Falls Waterfall.  It's a long way down, but was a spectacular vantage point!



If there is a Lower Falls, there must be an Upper Falls.  Here it is!

An observation platform across from my previous vantage point.  


Can you see anything interesting on the widest rock spire?

How about now?  Can you spot the Osprey nest?

The Grand View of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone!


Someone is backseat driving and is trying to tell Dad he is going the wrong way.  In hind sight, she probably wanted him to turn and let her run in the big grassy field with the giant chipmunks.  She wouldn't believe that they were bison, no matter how much we tried to convince her.  


Believe it or not, this is the same Yellowstone River that carved the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, and cascades down Upper and Lower Falls.  

Raging River: Just add water.  In all seriousness, aren't the wildflowers pretty?

Dragon Mouth Springs was named by an unknown park visitor around 1912, possibly due to the lashing of water from the mouth of the cave which up until 1994 sometimes reached the boardwalk.  It makes growling sounds from the gases and steam hitting the cave walls.  Here the smell of sulfur is thick and nauseating.  Imagine the smell of many rotten eggs.  Karen and Mom headed for the RV before Dad and I did, because it made them feel nauseous.   

Who's head do you see here.  (Hint: upside down)



I was really only 15-20 feet away from this raven.  Guess the nauseating sulfur smell doesn't bother him!


Heading out of Yellowstone through a tunnel of trees. 


Welcome to the Tetons. 


The sun setting on the Teton Range over Jackson Lake.  



The sun setting behind a hill. 

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    You have another nice post and beautiful pictures. I loved the water falls and remember seeing them as well. I also enjoyed the pictures of Mammoth Hot Springs which is next to the hotel that Grandma, Grandpa and I stayed when we visited. Although thankfully, I don’t recall the rotten egg smell as that is one smell we can all do without! I’m also glad to know that your vision is doing so well you could find the Osprey nest! I find it amazing that such a tranquil and peaceful river could carve the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and cascade down the Upper and Lower Falls with such force. The picture of Mickey was cute! I know I was sad when we had to leave Yellowstone as it was such an awesome place! However, there are still more amazing sights in store for you as you finish your journey. Finally, I hope you guys started singing the Bear Climbed Over the Mountain as you were driving through the Grand Tetons!

    Love,
    Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Amy! I'm so proud of you - it looks to me that you've been hiking like a champ! These pictures are great, and your descriptions fantastic - I can smell the eggs from here (oh my!) Please tell Karen that I think she can find the Loch Ness Monster in the Dragon Mouth Springs - I'm really hoping for one of her classic videos of that sight! As for the sun setting behind the hills, I really think you have landed in God's Country - makes me stop and say a prayer.

    I wish I could tell you that I like all your pictures where you ask us if we can spot something, but I don't like them, because I can't spot anything! Are you making this stuff up? I see Uncle Chris is proud of you for spotting the Osprey nest but he does not confirm that he can see it himself. I suggest he visit an eye doctor soon - maybe Andrea can make an appointment for him - hahahaha! And finally, another keeper of a picture is the one of your Dad and Timber. Truthfully, at first I thought you were talking about Karen being the back seat driver, and then I saw Timber's nose and I laughed out loud! Speaking of your Dad, please tell him to enjoy his last day of 49! Okay, time to get ready for work now (almost as much fun as what you're doing!) Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy