Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Arches, Ancient Newspapers, and Canyons (Monticello, Utah Post)

My Dad "borrowed" my camera before I woke up.  He was awake for the sunrise, which cast dramatic colors across these geologic formations.  

Fun with shadows.  


I woke up a bit later and reclaimed my camera.  Dad did put a new screen protector on for me when he borrowed my camera.
Tunnel Arch.  Apparently, you could se this for a while on the trail... I was looking the wrong way and saw nothing.  It was one of those embarrassing moments, as the arch was clearly there and I couldn't find it.  To add insult to injury, it is  pretty large too.  

Pine Tree Arch

My little bunny friend.  At first, he was hiding behind some trees and in a shadow, but he eventually came out and posed for me!

Edgar and Allen (On the rock spire dead center)  Their feathers look stunning against the red rock!

Double Arch is the third largest arch in the park.  It is a pothole arch, meaning that it began as a divot in a cliff face.    Pools of water seep into the cliff and erode an alcove.  Eventually, the expanding pothole meets the expanding alcove forming the arch which matures with further erosion.  


From inside.

Dad and Karen climbed to the rim of the arch.  

We headed out of Arches and on toward the Needles section of Canyonlands.  Newspaper Rock is a landmark on the way, at which we stopped.  On this wall of rock,  There are many petroglyphs highlighting the history of Native Peoples.  


An ancient granary used by Native Peoples to store corn and other foods.

Wooden Shoe Arch.  Personally, I think it looks more like a caterpillar.  

An excellent Echo chamber! Echo chamber! Echo chamber!

Edgar and Allen seem to follow me everywhere.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, As always the pictures are awesome. Nice shot of Dad and Karen. He doesn't look a day over 50. How about a picture of Mom and Amy. Beautiful day here. The bunnies and cardinals keep stopping by to visit. I'm getting tired just thinking about all you have done and seen. Love, Beach Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, I agree with Grandma, these are more great pictures! Today, we shared them with Mati, our friend from Italy so she could see all the beauty our country has to offer. She loved them!

    I thought that the arches started from divots in the cliff face - that was going to be my first guess as to how those arches got there! I mean, everyone knows that... You do believe me, don't you?

    The ancient writing is very, very neat! I especially like the wheel with spokes because I know what that represents! Just goes to show you that wheels have been around for a really long time! (Almost as long as your Dad!) Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy,

    I enjoyed the shadow pictures those were very unique. I’m going to assume the shadows were of you and your Dad. I’m not sure how you can find all those little birds and bunnies but miss the Arch! Just when I though you were seeing well too! I also find it interesting that a little water and a lot of time could make those arches! Once again it goes to show you the power of water. I agree with you Wooden Shoe Arch does look more like a caterpillar than a shoe. Maybe we should petition to have the name changed. I also loved the echo from Echo Chamber I could almost here it from here. It looks a very fun place.

    Once again I hope you enjoy tomorrow’s adventures!

    Love,

    Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope the shadow wasn't me. I was still sleeping; it was my Mom and my Dad. In my defense for not seeing the arch, I was looking at the wall ahead of me and it was off to the side. I don't have good peripheral vision when I wear my glasses.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy