Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Saturday, July 19, 2014

You Are Nowhere (Flaming Gorge Post)


Last night, we stayed in a place without cell service, so no blog.  That's a pretty good story, but more about that later.


Be careful what you wish for, I was bored with the corn, but then we got absolutely nothing instead. 


The one tree in the state!

Cows

Traffic was heavy

We stopped in the town of Sidney, Nebraska for gas and lunch.  The first gas station we drove into had no diesel, but this was the logo.  "You Are Nowhere" became the de facto motto of the day as we drove through wide expanses of nothing, and the canyons with no cell service.



Windfarms


MOUNTAINS!
 In the scenic turn out point we stopped in (in Wyoming), I learned these were the Sherman Mountains, which were created through weathering and erosion above the Laramie Range.

The other attraction was this tree growing out of the rock.  It has fascinated visitors since the laying of the tracks for the Union Pacific Railroad.  It is a slightly stunted limber pine (Pinus flexilis).  the tree's age is unknown, but it grows out of a crack in a Precambrian era pink Sherman granite which formed one to four billion years ago.



At some point after this and working on my biology, I fell asleep.  When I woke up, we were in Rock Springs and planned to stay at the KOA there, but a rodeo was in town, and the campground was full. As the title of this post points out, we were nowhere and had there were no other campgrounds nearby, and it was getting late and we were all tired.  However, we kept on trucking to Flaming Gorge, which is a reservoir and the area around it is protected as a national recreation area.  It was far, almost another 100 miles out.  It dropped us into a canyon without service strong enough to use phone data, so we were nowhere and you were without a blog post this morning.  As we drove into the canyon the sun was setting.  





Once we had pulled in, the last bits of color were draining from the pale sky.  Timber and I went exploring, and she was a riot, running around and chasing bunnies with me attached!  



I will update on the rest of today's activities tomorrow, as it is late after our trip to pick up Mom at the airport in Salt Lake.  She got in safely, and we are all excited to have her with us for the rest of the trip!

Ciao!
Amy


3 comments:

  1. Nebraska would be a good place to learn how to drive. Almost impossible to hit anything. Last night I was watching Dave lLetterman. His guest was Melissa McCarthy (comedian) . She was talking about driving cross-country with two young kids strapped in the back seat. He laughed and commented on driving through Nebraska. The fun part of the trip is about to begin. Enjoy. Beach Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! Today's blog taught me one thing and that is I never want to go to Nebraska. I give you credit for trying to make it sound exciting - I mean they do have a tree growing out of a rock and a radio active shed going for them but that's just not my kind of thing. I agree with Beach Grandma though - you should have taken the wheel for a little while! Maybe you can drive on the way back - now that could be EXCITING for everybody, especially your Dad! Love, Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I just realized the radio active shed isn't even in Nebraska, only the tree growing out of the rock...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy