Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, July 31, 2014

Livin' Large (Sequoia National Park Post)

Sequoia National Park, See history and science of the Sequoia trees within the Kings Canyon Post. 




The General Sherman Tree is the world's largest tree by volume.  It has a height on 275 feet, and a diameter of 34 feet.  It is estimated to have a volume of 52,508 cubic feet, and to be between 2300 to 2700 years old. The top of the tree is dead, but that doesn't stop it from growing.  Every year, the tree produces enough wood for a very large tree of other species.

At a viewpoint along the trail, you can take a picture of the tree from top to bottom.  

Looking up for a six foot human is the equivalent of a mouse looking up at a six foot human.  

To show the width of the tree

Moro Rock is a 300 foot change in elevation over four tenths of a mile, which is taken in over 375 stairs.  From the top the view is really neat, and even see down onto the road we would later take to get out of the park!  The road happened to be a road filled with switchbacks, which vehicles over 22 feet were not advised.  Harvey is 24 feet!  Dad of course went for it. We need to thank Bill for the recommendation of Moro Rock, because my Dad says that otherwise we wouldn't have known take this "hike."


Family portrait at the summit


From a turnout: you could see the stairs to top.

Moro Rock from the road out of the Park

We had planned to stay at a reservoir near the exit of the park, but as evidence to the three year drought that is occurring here, the water level was incredibly low, and as a result of the near 100 degree heat, we moved on toward San Francisco in hopes of cooler temperatures.



The sun over the road

Driving out in the morning!
Ciao!
Amy

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're back Amy-I have missed your writings. Unfortunately I have to leave for work, so I will give every picture much more attention over coffee tomorrow. More exciting than reading the JI with my coffee! Love to everyone, Auntie Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy, Sequoia trees are amazing. Moro Rock hike with over 375 stairs, great way to exercise. Who needs a treadmill? You and your camera are a great team. I spend an hour every time you post - enlarging and looking at the pictures, good thing I'm on an all summer vacation. Love to all. Beach Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy