Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tales of Tahoe (Tahoe Lake Post)



Unfortunately, when we reached Tahoe yesterday afternoon it was a little rainy.  As we were driving toward our campsite, we saw dramatic clouds over the gray lake.  



Cuddling with my buddy! Photo-credit to Dad

Mom and Dad found their future home.  

Fanny Bridge and Dam over the Truckgee River

There are 63 streams that flow into Lake Tahoe, but the Truckgee River is the only outlet from the Lake


Casual Pinecone Modeling

This tree sculpture was carved out of the largest tree in Tahoe City,  as it was dying it was decided to memorialize it in someway, by creating a sculpture with animals that enjoyed the tree climbing on it. 
The weather was much better today!
The lake was at one time a glacial lake, but the surrounding glaciers melted a long time ago.  Lake Tahoe is also the third deepest lake in North America, with its deepest point being 1,644 feet, and the average about 1000.  The bottom is 95 feet deeper than the elevation of Carson City, Nevada.  There are over 39 trillion gallons of water in the lake, which cycle around for about 700 years. before being outlet into the Truckgee River.  The amount of water could cover California with 14 inches of water.  


We woke up early this morning to get a parking spot at Emerald Bay State Park, and the sign was perfect for Harvey!

Down into Emerald Bay
The beach where we rented kayaks! 

We kayaked out to the island
In my kayak!

Photo-credit to Mom


 Lake Tahoe was once home to many paddle boats and steamboats, and the tradition continues with paddleboat tours such as these.



The top of the Island we kayaked to. 


The lake is so clear that you can see down 67 feet from the surface in certain locales. 


We went swimming on the beach near where we rented our kayaks because how often do you get to swim in Lake Tahoe?!  However, the water was quite cold as the average surface temperature is only 68 degrees.  However, any deeper than 600 feet and it remains a frosty 39 degrees! Burr!  The warm and cold water constantly mix preventing the lake from freezing.  

Vikingsholm was the private home of Mrs. Lora Josephine Knight, who chose the spot because it reminded her of the fjords of home.  The rock structure on the island was also part of her home, and she took guests out in a boat for tea.  





Eagle Falls
We saw this sign driving out of Tahoe, we smiled at the Big Trees, as we have been telling everyone who asks that we are here to see the big trees.  Big Trees is apparently a town.  It was too far out of our way to visit, but it made us smile!

The pass we drove through to get to our campsite was really pretty!





Mom and Timber running down the road.


Next Stop! Yosemite!

Ciao,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy! I feel like an adolescent this morning as for some reason "Fanny Dam" makes me giggle! And I won't even begin to tell you what that sculptured tree reminds me of!! (Sorry Beach Grandma...) However, the adult me thinks the rest of your pictures are beautiful and they make me want to visit Lake Tahoe one day. Except I don't think I'll swim if it's only 68 degrees at best. I will only dip my toe in lake Tahoe! Love, Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy