Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Saturday, July 19, 2014

From the Canyons into the City (Salt Lake City Post)

Here are the views of our canyon campground!



Once we were all set to go we drove down to the water's edge.  The reservoir is 91 miles long, and the pictures do nothing to show the size.  


The area is called Flaming Gorge because of the colors of the rocks.  Unfortunately, it was hazy and it also seemed as if it had been dry recently as the colors were not vivid, but it was easy to imagine them to be. 



We followed along the reservoir

These reminded Dad and Karen of giant anthills, ok as long as no giant ants climbed out!




A little town was nestled in the bottom of the canyon.  

Dinosaurs such as the Stegosaurus once roamed these lands, but now the land is used for farming and cattle grazing.  
Photo Credit to Karen!




These mountains were formed by Unita fault being pushed together.

Bridge over the reservoir



The Flaming Gorge Reservoir is formed by a dam on the Green River.

The dam is in the background.  It doesn't look like much from this angle. 

Driving over the dam

It's really more impressive from this angle! 




At the little gas station we stopped at Timber and I found a radioactive material containment unit.  
What does a small gas station in back-country Utah need one of those for?


As mom's flight was going to get in late (almost 10 o'clock!) we were limited for options of where to stay, and we decided to stay in the KOA near the airport.  Harvey got to hang with the big rigs!  We are on Zion Street in the campground, as they are named for parts of Utah, but I think I liked the canyon Zion a bit better.  

City Camping for the night!

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of pictures I've seen of Australia. O.o
    -Traestaree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, that's one big dam! I hope Beach Grandma can tell us if Beach Grandpa saw that one when they took their trip out west as I know he was fascinated by mega-dams. Utah is a pretty state, I would go to Utah for sure. And a 91 mile long reservoir just goes to show you how tiny RI really is compared to other states- as the whole state is only 48 miles long! Of course with all the squiggles and islands the coastline is 120 miles long so at least its slightly larger than the Flaming Gorge Reservoir. I was glad to hear your Mom is with you all now - can't wait to see where you were yesterday and where you'll be today! Have fun!! Love, Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy