Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Prettiest Part of Colorado (Marble, Colorado Post)

 Sadly, our trip will shortly be coming to an end.  We have been heading home since the Hoover Dam, but the realization really just hit yesterday, as we knew it would be a day of driving, without much stopping.  However, we had one consolation - we were driving through the prettiest part of Colorado according to my Dad and several others we talked to.




The Summit of Molas Pass, where these next few pictures were taken, has an elevation of 10,899 feet.

Colorful wildflowers in front of the San Juan Mountains.  

According to a sign, I was taking some of the cleanest, freshest air in the United States into my lungs!

I originally attempted to take this picture without the butterfly, but it flew into my picture at just the last second.   I ended up liking this picture with the accidental butterfly better than my original!

I offered to take a picture of a group of people, and in turn they took this picture of me.  
 These were taken after we left Molas Pass.

Nestled in the mountains is the old mining town of Silverton.  

Colorful rocks on the mountain.  

Another storm is brewing!

We pulled over in a turnout during the thunderstorm, because we were on the Million Dollar highway with many curves and steep grades.  Timber doesn't like thunder and lightning, so this is her protection from it.  A pillow in Mom's lap wearing her protective inner-tube (a neck pillow). 


A waterfall.
An adjacent, wider waterfall.  

Timber, always curious, jumped up on her back legs and looked to see what everyone was looking at .
The storm cloud is covering the mountains just visible minutes before.  

Timber was tired after all the excitement and "borrowed"  Karen's bunny.  



Until Later,
Amy













4 comments:

  1. Amy, As always pictures are breath-taking. Love the picture of you. I miss you and your family very much, but you are enjoying this trip and I wish it could continue for another month. Love you all, Beach Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    Another great job with the pictures. It is always sad when a trip come to an end but you guys did have an amazing trip from the pictures and comments! I hope you didn’t jump into that waterfall it looked like a long way down. The butterfly looks huge in your picture do to the illusion of the mountains and how close it was to you when you took the picture. Sometime accidents can workout for the best! I notice that you were wearing a Grand Canyon t-shirt in Molas Pass, isn’t that false advertisement? The mountain pictures were pretty as well. Sorry I haven’t written lately, I was visiting Grandma for a few days and have been busy since I got back. I did want to comment before you were home. As sad as it is to be coming home if you make it by the weekend maybe you can have some fried dough at Mt. Carmel. I know it’s not as exciting as looking at all the beautiful scenery but it is something. I hope the final leg of your journey goes well.

    Love,
    Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Amy, they are right - that is a beautiful area. I thought the Kank was a high climb at 2800 feet, I can't imagine going over Molas Pass at 10,000 feet. Hope you guys can make it to the beach once more before summer's over! Love, uncle tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy!! So my question of the day is what am I going to do every morning once you are home and the blog is complete? I don't remember what I used to do because it seems I've been in this routine for a long time now! I was even late for work a couple of times because of this fantastic blog! Thank you so much for all the wonderful pictures and explanations and funny comments. Because of you (and your silly sister) I have started each day with a smile on my face and I love you for that!

    Please thank Timber for the wonderful idea of how to get through a thunder storm! Next time, I am going to get a regular pillow and my neck pillow (mine is called a "spa" pillow) and I'm going to hop onto Uncle Tom's lap until the storm passes - it really looks like the way to go!
    Just like Uncle Chris I love the picture of the butterfly. Uncle Chris gave the Optometrist's description of the picture (optical illusions and all that) and I'll give the philosophical one - I'm thinking that maybe it wasn't an accident at all and that butterfly was trying to wish you well on the rest of your journey.

    One of my best friend's lives in CO and now I know why, it is beautiful and regaling (is that a word?)! He went for a visit and never came back - but don't get any ideas! He lives in the Denver area and I keep saying I'm going to go see him. You have convinced me that I should!

    And YAY for Mt. Carmel fried dough - it does cure all. If we weren't heading west tonight (far west, past Enfield!) I would go with you!! See you soon I hope! Love, Auntie Pam <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy