Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Thursday, August 2, 2012

If Isn't Here It Doesn't Exist (Salina, Kansas Post)

Get a good look at these mountains, these are probably the last we will be seeing until we see the Appalachian Mountains close to home.  

What was on the other side of the road when I took the last picture.  
 Mom was reading the map and Triple A guide book and discovered the World's Wonder View Tower and museum.  Eager for a chance to stretch our legs, we decided to visit.  I knew it would be an interesting place when the sign for the town's business district was down a dirt road.
The tower was built by Colorado's P.T. Barnum, Charles W. Gregory in the highest point between Denver and New York, an elevation of 5,715 feet.
The World's Wonder View Tower in Genoa, Colorado

The museum adjacent to the tower.  The slogan here is: "If it isn't here, it doesn't exist."   You will soon discover why.  

The wishing well with a plaque that says, throw in three coins and your wish may come true.  

Proven by Ripley, from the top of the tower, you can see six states -  Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado,  Wyoming, South Dakota, and New Mexico.  

The current owner of the tower and museum, Jerry Chubbuck delighted us with his quiz, Guess What, where he showed us many unusual items, and we tried to guess their function.  Nope, this object isn't a practical joke for April Fool's Day, its a potato peeler.   

There are 21 different rooms all like this one, all remarkably well kept by Jerry.  

A giant geode with a dinosaur bone in front of it.  

A two headed calf.  

I just climbed these ladder like stairs to reach the top of the tower.  
 The view off the tower.  I couldn't identify which state was what, can you?






Just one of the many interesting objects within the museum.  

This massive fireplace had a rock from every state in the United States, but it was too big for me to get a picture of all of it.  Here is part of it!

Millions and Millions of Meat Grinders.  

Nope, these aren't the same meat grinders, there were more than my first picture.  

Over 50,000 different bottles like these.  



Kansas.  Endless fields of wheat and corn.  


Of course when I try to take a picture of the sunset, the only trees in Kansas show up.  

Without the trees. 


The gorgeous moon was a pinkish orange.   
Kansas does have a pretty night sky and moon.  
 I really understand the saying man with one watch always knows the time, man with two never knows for sure, because with all our time travelling through the different time zones, we have clocks from a variety of time zones.  We have a clock in pacific time, one in mountain time, and several in central time, and one that is in the Vladivostok Russian Time Zone.  (It currently says its 4:20 in the morning.)  Yesterday, I could't tell you what time it was at all.

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Amy, Here's to a continued safe trip home to you and the family. I can see from these pictures that Jerry has quite the job keeping all that stuff in order-I love the smile on his face-you can tell he loved having you visit. Love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy