Welcome!

This summer I am taking on the country with Harvey (My family's rv), my family, and dog Timber. And of course, my camera (an Olympus Pen-Ep3) and many, many, many books. Join us on this adventure through my pictures and writings.


Friday, July 6, 2012

Monuments, Caves, and the Fifth of July Fireworks (Leaving South Dakota and Entering Wyoming Post)

Sorry about the lack of a post yesterday, we were stuck in the Fifth of July fireworks, a really interesting lightning storm we watched (or tried driving through) because of the absence of Fourth of July fireworks due to high fire warnings.  When we eventually got to our campsite, it was rather late and I was to tired to post, so here it is now.  Better late then never!


Anyway, yesterday we went to the Crazy Horse Memorial.  Although it is currently unfinished, it still looks majestic.  A bit of history - the sculptor Korzac Ziolkowski began the project all by his self with a rickety old compressor and a few tools.  He started the compressor, picked up his tools, and began climbing the stairs he built to reach the top.  If the compressor stopped, he would have leave his stuff, go down the stairs, turn on the compressor, wait to make sure it was started and head back up the stairs again.  According to the orientation video, he once had to do that nine times in one day.   Korzac has since died, but his wife and seven of his children have continued on with the project.  

Here is what the memorial will look like when finished.  Under the picture is a plaque reading... 

Crazy Horse
1/300th Scale Model For the Mountain Carving

Korczak Ziolkowski, Sculpter 
Tennessee marble  Carved 1946


Crazy Horse Memorial is to be carved not so much as a lineal likeness, but more as a memorial to the spirit of Crazy Horse-to his people.  With his left hand thrown out pointing in answer to the derisive question asked by a white man, "Where are your lands now?''  he replied, "My lands are where my dead lie buried." 

--Korczak, Sc. (1908-1982)

 This is what has been finished of the carving.  The head was finished and unveiled in 1998 in time for the 50th anniversary of the start.  



No trip to the Black Hills would be complete without trip to Mount Rushmore.  The project was started by Gutzon Borglum in 1927, and finished by Gutzon's son Lincoln (named after the 16th president).



George Washington was chosen because he was the first president and signifies the birth of the country.  Thomas Jefferson was chosen because of his work in expanding the country through buying the Louisiana Purchase.  Abraham Lincoln was chosen because he preserved the Union during the Civil War.  The Fourth president for the monument was the most controversial, because only eight years had passed since his death.  Theodore Roosevelt was chosen for his work in developing the country through the national parks and the Panama Canal. Borglum also believed he was a good example of American pride.   Borglum had to study many portraits to sculpt Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln; he was able to sculpt Roosevelt from memory as the two were good friends.

The Avenue of Flags contains a flag from each state or territory (56 flags in total) .  I thought it was really cool to see all the states represented in this way.  



I really liked the way that the sky and Mount Rushmore (the little dark mountain close to the bottom right corner) reflected on my Dad's sunglasses and how his mouth is slightly open in awe at the sight of the monument.



 We left Rushmore and expected to head straight to our campsite, but we made our way to Wonderland Cave when we saw the signs, because Mom really wanted to visit a cave.  After a long ride down a twisty, bumpy road seemingly leading to nowhere, we reached the cave.



Wonderland Cave was discovered by two mining brothers in pursuit of their dog who chased a rabbit down into the cave.  Sound familiar?  At first they attempted to mine gold in the cave, but gave up and started offering tours once they realized gold doesn't grow in limestone, such as what the cave was made of.  Later the CCC came in and built stairs, for easier access.


Stalactites and Stalagmites in the oldest part of the cave.  

 Just for you Auntie Pam!



A family inside joke.  

I tried to capture the lightning in our fifth of July fireworks, but I don't think I was able to.  Here is a picture where the lightning lit up the sky like a flashbulb, and I got the picture.  I love the colors and the lighting in this particular photograph.  

3 comments:

  1. I really like the pictures of Mount Rushmore.It has 2 of my favorite Presidents.We hope you are having a good time.Stay COOL.
    Jocelyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Which two presidents are your favorite? We are having a great time!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Amy and the rest of the family! Although I was a bit impatient, this post was worth the wait! Hahahaha - I especially love the picture of you and Karen and the cute little bug - it's adorable and so huggable! I hope you get more of those along the way - they are classics! So many people pass by the opportunity for such glorious shots of these unique statues, but not us - we're too smart for that! I also appreciate all of the historical perspective you are providing on the true monuments, so that when we go visit them some day we will already know some of the history. I can see why your Dad was in awe. That cave is unbelievable and I'm glad your Mom wanted to stop! One year Mike (or Aleigh) had to make a model of a cave like that and I would love to see it in person. I am so glad you are having such a wonderful trip! Miss you and love you! <3 Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you! Recently, the robots have taken some comments, they should appear immediately or after refreshing the page. I'm am working to fix this as best I can but in the meantime make sure the comments go through!
Amy